Government drops plans to use Costa Mesa facility as coronavirus quarantine site

March 04, 2020  |   Recent Posts   |     |   Comments Off on Government drops plans to use Costa Mesa facility as coronavirus quarantine site

Keller/Anderle’s successful application for a temporary restraining order led the state and federal governments to announce Friday they would abandon their plan to use the Fairview Developmental Center in Costa Mesa to quarantine coronavirus patients.

A District Court Judge temporarily blocked the proposal, which called for as many as 50 patients, including evacuees from the Diamond Princess, to be isolated at a facility the California state government had just weeks earlier declared unfit to serve as an emergency homeless shelter.

Less than 24 hours after being alerted to the state and federal governments’ plan, the City of Costa Mesa asked Keller/Anderle to try to block the relocation of these patients to a dilapidated facility in the middle of a densely populated area, bounded by busy thoroughfares and residential neighborhoods.

In a court hearing last week, the city’s lead attorney, Jennifer Keller, cited concerns over the risk of transmission within the community, given the lack of coordination with local officials, first responders, and hospitals.  Keller also highlighted the potential economic fallout from such a move and the existence of far more suitable locations to care for coronavirus patients among the reasons to block the use of the former assisted living facility.

Neighboring cities as well as the County of Orange rallied in support of Costa Mesa’s efforts.  The City’s elected leadership, staff, and first responders as well as their partners throughout the region were relieved by the outcome.  The City continues to focus its attention on ensuring it is prepared to protect the health and safety of the community in the face of the coronavirus challenge.

Other Posts

  • Jennifer Keller named to 2022 list of “The Top 100 Trial Lawyers in America”
    October 5, 2021

    Jennifer Keller has been named to the 2022 Benchmark Litigation “Top 100 Trial Lawyers in America,” an exclusive list of the top courtroom advocates in the United States. This is the 5th year in a row that Jennifer has been selected. In addition, Ms. Keller was selected to Benchmark Litigation’s “Top 20 Trial Lawyers in California” list for the 4th year in a row (every year since inception of the list).

  • Billionaire Bill Gross found Guilty, Given Jail Time, Assails Esteemed Judge
    October 1, 2021

    “We hope this will end the nightmare our clients have suffered at the hands of the Grosses, but given his behavior today, that hope may be in vain,” says Scolnick.

  • Jennifer Keller and Reuben Camper Cahn selected as “Top 100 Lawyers in California”
    September 16, 2021

    The selection of more than one partner at a firm is remarkable for even the largest law firms and particularly so for a boutique firm,” says managing partner Kay Anderle. “This honor attests to the outstanding capabilities of not just Jennifer and Reuben but other KA attorneys who work behind-the-scenes to achieve success for our clients.” 

  • Best Lawyers® in America names Jennifer Keller Top Orange County Lawyer for White Collar Criminal Defense
    August 25, 2021

    In addition to the “Lawyer of the Year” honor, Ms. Keller was also selected as a Best Lawyer® in the practice areas of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Litigation-Intellectual Property.  

  • Five KA attorneys selected by Best Lawyers® in America
    August 20, 2021

    Attorneys and their areas of practice selected are: Jennifer Keller for bet-the-company litigation, commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, and white collar criminal defense; Kay Anderle for commercial litigation, legal malpractice-plaintiffs, and white collar criminal defense; Chase Scolnick for qui tam law and white collar criminal defense; Reuben Camper Cahn for white collar criminal defense; and Shaun A. Hoting for commercial litigation.