Insurance Recovery/Bad Faith
Insurance Recovery/Bad Faith
We have represented both individuals and corporations as plaintiffs, and leading insurance companies as defendants, in lawsuits involving insurance recovery and bad faith.
When insurance companies wrongfully deny their policyholders a legitimate claim either for indemnity, damages or to provide a defense to a lawsuit, the policyholder may have a claim against the insurance company for acting in bad faith. Bad faith claims can result in damages much greater than the policyholder’s actual loss and should be handled by experienced counsel who are respected by insurance companies and are not afraid of trial.
We have also represented international insurance companies that have been sued for denying illegitimate claims made by policyholders. When an insurance company has been falsely accused of acting in bad faith, we aggressively defend it all the way through trial.
Handling bad faith cases both for plaintiffs and defendants has given us unique insights into the inner workings of the parties and their counsel, and how the courts view these cases. Very few law firms can make that claim, as most are “pure plaintiff” or “pure defense” firms. For us, what matters is that a case is meritorious, not who the party is.
- Represented Federal Insurance Company (Chubb) against a lawsuit filed by Paramount Pictures. Paramount sued alleging that its policy with Federal covered losses resulting from delays and interruptions of the production of the filming of Mission Impossible 7. Paramount sought $100 million in damages. In 2022, a favorable confidential settlement was reached for our client.
- Representing three insurers from the AIG family of insurance companies, in retrial of claims for breach of contract, bad faith, and punitive damages brought by Victaulic Company of America in California Superior Court. Established that reversal of earlier trial reopened discovery allowing development of the material concealment defense to all claims.
- Represented MGA Entertainment against a group of insurance carriers that denied a defense when the company was sued by Mattel for copyright infringement. Damages were over $200 million. A confidential settlement was reached in favor of our client.
- Represented world’s leading financial services firm as an excess carrier.
- Obtained in 2021 favorable settlement for plaintiff client suing Fortune 1000 insurance company for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Achieved in 2020 a complete defense victory on summary judgment for a major insurance company in a bad faith case brought by a fitness equipment supplier in L.A. Superior Court.
- Obtained in 2019 summary judgment on all claims in successfully defending a major insurance carrier and a night club in a bad faith subrogation suit brought by another insurance carrier in state court in Nevada.
- Represented a Fortune 100 insurer in a fraud trial against defendants for purchasing life insurance policies, laundering them through a shell company, and then selling them at inflated prices. The case favorably settled after trial.